Sunday, November 26, 2006

The future of Turkey and The Pussycat Dolls

Hello everyone!
I'd like to infringe the principles upon which I've founded this website and share with you a pretty hillarious event that happened to me today. I was returning home from a movie theatre this evening and I hopped into one of the "minibus"es that I always take to go home. For those of you who don't know, these minibuses are locally very popular, primitive transportation vehicles with drivers who can be, suffice it to say, "quite a character". They look somewhat like the one below, except that most of them are worn out and generally overcrowded.

As I got in the minibus, I heard a Pussycat Dolls song coming from the stereo, which was unusual but not surprising. Even though American Pop is not the music of choice of your common minibus driver, some of them prefer listening to it or even to rap or hiphop as they drive along. However, as I've raised my head after handing in the money, I was dumbfounded with the sight of two LCD screens manually placed in the two cornerns of the minibus: a bigger one installed right behind the driver's seat, and a smaller one in the top right corner where the driver can conveniently see. What was actually playing was a video of the Pussycat Dolls in a satellite channel that mostly the upper-crust Turks can afford. (Translation into colloquial chi-ce: amcam teknoloji yapmis!!) I was certainly impressed by the innovative creativity and the determination of the person who came up with the idea of installing hi-tech satellite television in the sub-par minibus. As I was riding along today, I've watched the videos of the Pussycat Dolls, Xibit and Eminem, consecutively. I've also taken pictures of it with my cell phone; I wish I knew how to transfer them to my computer. There must certainly be a sociological lesson to be learnt from this, in the "what's really happenin' here?!" sense, but I leave it up to the reader to come up with his own conclusion.

My next posts will be about blaming other things/people as an excuse for retiring from life and my first meditaiton club meeting, quite possibly consecutively.

4 comments:

Moonshine said...

Hahaha I've seen one of those too thıs summer and it was hilarious! I love minibuses:)

Chi said...

Let's just hope that it was the same one. I don't think I can handle more than one ultra-tech minibus at this stage of our civilization :))

Anonymous said...

do you have a direct contact email? i cant find any. i am a writer for Pocket Change and we would like to let you know about upcoming events. let me know plz

Anonymous said...

my email address is trojas@pocketchangenyc.com

i forgot to post that