Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Do these pants make my insecurity look big?

We are living in a society which tells you that you are not O.K. just the way you are, especially when you're a woman. And by this, I don't even mean the unrealistic idealized images of women that you see on TV or magazines everyday. It's utterly stupid to look at the women on the cover of fashion magazines and feel ugly or bad about yourself. By "society", I'm rather referring to people around me, especially other women. (Not necessarily close friends or acquintances, but people that I interact with everyday). I think that it's not men or media's unrealistic expectations that are most detrimental to a women's self image. I seriously think that it is other women, or it has been in my case. Every time I witness someone looking gorgeous complain about her fat, her face or whatever, my self esteem goes a little lower. Even though I'm totally aware that this is irrational.

First of all, if those women are not aware of their beauty and cannot cherish it, it's the number one indication that beauty does not gurarantee happiness. Then, why do we see beauty as magic potion that is going to heal all the problems in our lives? Why do we wait to get beautiful to start living? I have known enough women, looking thin but extremely unhealty and miserable. I have also known quite a few women who has slept with a lot of men but still have a very low self esteem. I don't think that hurting yourself in the quest for beauty is about men.(You might think so if you're a teenager, but as you grow up you realize it isn't.) It's about proving something to the outside world. It's about making a point that you don't
even quite know. Maybe it's about deciding how much you're worthy of being loved by comparing yourself to other women. After all, you wouldn't feel that there is anything wrong with you if all the other women looked just as the way you did.

I might have diverged from my initial point a little bit, but my point is that I just want to be over with being negatively influenced by other women around me. Most women that I know are on a diet, somewhat restricting or starving herselves, has previously had plastic surgery or are spending 3 hours a day in front of the mirror for the sake of looking more attractive. I no longer want to witness this and feel bad about myself just because other women are feeling bad about themselves. I chose to invest my time on something more meaningful, something beyond the mere appearance. That way, I will know that I will be able to better handle hardships whenever they come. To look good is of course important but looking better is not going to make a difference in your life if you don't have the self esteem to go with it.

No comments: