Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Perception of wealth

I want to make one more remark about how people mesure their wealth with the amount of money they have. (I was reminded of this also during last saturday's lecture.) You possess things that are priceless, that no money in the world can buy. How much do your eyes cost? Would you give both of your eyes to me for a billion dollars each? How about one of your arm? That's just one thing. What if you're living in a city that's got all of the four seasons and plenty of sunlight? (I do.) By how much would they have to compensate you to make you move to another city with 3 hour long days and a severe winter? Why did materialism take over our lives so much? Why is being motivated by self interest means chasing after money? I don't want to be motivated by self-interest, I want to be motivated by my best-interest. And chasing money all the time is not for my best-interest. I aldready have two billion dollars for both of my eyes. I wouldn't sell any of the things I've learned in the past 6 months for any price. Certain things are truly pricless and we have to remind ourselves more frequently that it is something that goes deeper than a stupid mastercard commercial.

1 comment:

Chi said...

Just forgot to mention. Democracy, freedom of speech, human rights: more precious than oil.