Sunday, October 29, 2006

Self Parenting?

I don't remember where I've seen this before but it goes something like this: "you should love yourself like a parent loves his child and treat yourself the way a mother would treat her baby". I'm sort of nervous about this whole self-parenting thing. Who gets to decide the right way to parent? But still, there must be some universal things that are desired in a good parent. I believe that a good parent should accept her child the way she is and still love her despite her shortcomings. (You can still oppose me on this one. What if the child is doing crack? There is nothing acceptable about that. But I'm referring to more "uncontrollable" aspects such as physical appearance or some chararter trait that has been a part of that person's "ego" for so long that it's hard to get rid of.) I assume that self-acceptance makes it easer for oneself to deal with her shortcomings. You have to start the change from the inside. Then, maybe one day you might eventually realize that some of those "shortcomings" are really magnified by the self.

No comments: